Real-time
crypto news

Beleaguered Bitcoin exchange BTC-e opens new website

Published 2 years ago by Jasmine Solana

Beleaguered Bitcoin exchange BTC-e opens new website

Coin Geek via coingeek.com

On Friday morning, the Bitcoin exchange announced via Twitter that the site is available through the domain btc-e. BTC-e’s original domain was seized by U.S. authorities in July after Russian national Alexander Vinnik was arrested on charges of laundering more than $4 billion through the digital currency exchange, which he allegedly operated. On its new domain, BTC-e urged its users to refresh their security settings to protect their funds. Currently, users are still limited to checking their fund balances and post messages in the Bitcoin exchange’s chat box. That is why in order to protect your funds, you need to refresh the security settings,” BTC-e said in a post, which asked users to generate a new password, change their 2fa, delete old key and create a new one, and check the list of white IPs as well as delete inactive or irrelevant IPs. A BTC-e representative recently posted an update on the Bitcoin Talk forum, announcing that they are planning a three-stage relaunch that will see the embattled exchange rebrand under a new company “in full compliance with the European directives on personal data and in compliance with European legislation in this field.” BTC-e revealed that aside from ordering a $110 million fine, authorities have also seized 45% of user funds, meaning the exchange still has control over the remaining 55%, which it said users will be able to withdraw as soon as it launches. The remaining 45% will be converted to digital tokens that users can use to trade or hold on to until they’re bought back by the exchange. Coin spectator is an automated news aggregation service. All copyrights belong to their respective owners. Images and text owned by copyright holders are used in reference to and promotion of those respective parties. Read in Full

Bitcoin price plummets as China cracks down on ‘illegal’ token sales

People Also Read Bitcoin has hit a slump after the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) ordered a ban on fundraising activities that use initial coin offerings (ICOs). On Monday, the Chinese central ... Read More

South Korea’s Coinplug starts trading Bitcoin Cash

And the latest company to join the mix is Bitcoin brokerage and service provider Coinplug. On Friday, the South Korean company announced the launch of its new trading platform called Coinplug Digital ... Read More

Russia prosecutes 3 in first Bitcoin-related criminal case

People Also Read Three businessmen have found out the hard way that trading bitcoin and other digital currency is not legal—yet—in Russia. Last week, Kostroma police and Federal Security Servi ... Read More

Going mainstream? Bitcoin makes it to John Cena’s Instagram

People Also Read There’s no denying that Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general are steadily gaining the interest of people from all walks of life, so much so that even “You can’t see me” wre ... Read More

A Bitcoin world: with Dr Craig Wright

The talks will each be capped off with a QA between the speaker and the audience. Our speaker Dr. Craig Wright is an Australian computer scientist, businessman and inventor who challenges the world wi ... Read More